Shabbat March 21, 2020
Ministerial leaders throughout our country have been pressed and concerned about the decision whether to continue meetings during this unique time in our nation. We have talked with others, prayed, considered various viewpoints, and sought the Holy Spirit’s help for our precious community of faith. Our decision is to continue our Shabbat services including Hebrew Honey this weekend. Below are some significant points to consider in this decision:
- We do not view a congregation meeting as simply a social gathering. We are community public servants, Messiah’s public servants to others. Police, fire department, healthcare, etc., these continue in times of crisis. We believe that we are called to minister in times of crisis. Just like other public servants, who put themselves in potential harm’s way, especially during crisis, we recognize that we may be doing the same.
- We do not believe or want to convey that this is a better decision than those congregations that are choosing not to meet.
- If anyone has a need to visit healthcare during this time; (even if it is not related to the coronavirus), that visit can place them in a social setting that can be more susceptible to the transmission of the coronavirus. Some people may make decisions to put off some healthcare for this reason. We understand that some may decide not to attend Shabbat services for this reason. We honor and respect that decision. We encourage all our Sanctuary Messianic community to respect these types of decisions. There is no judgment or criticism for anyone and the choices that they make during this season.
- We believe that for those that are continuing to meet, it is important to communicate these types of decisions with other people with whom we may also have contact.
- We ask anyone attending Shabbat services to take extra care with handwashing and general hygiene concerns.
- Deb and I have prepared a personal ministry statement regarding this difficult time. https://smilingmavenministries.com/response-to-coronavirus/
- If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.
In His grace,
Art and Deb Weiner
Sanctuary Messianic Congregation